[Webfunds-users] new dox

Ian Grigg iang@systemics.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:50:05 -0400

<someone> said:

> i likes the doco - pictures good :)

Thanks!  It took me ages to get the brush work right :)

> in the example, it mentions:
> "In the Trader wallet, one of the sub-accounts is special. This one is the
> base money against which the others are traded. Bear this in
> mind as we continue. "
>
> which one is it in the example? how does terry know which one it is?

For whatever reason, I wrote the text so that it was independant
of the graphics.  In the graphics, the base money is grams of gold.

Trader doesn't currently tell him which is special.  This is
mostly because the SOX wallet doesn't see the distinctions, and
Trader has to kludge in the information.  I guess that is a bug,
hopefully we'll get all these foibles picked out in time.

> is there one specific sub-account *per trader account* that is special, or is
> it truly only one sub-account in the entire trader wallet that is special?

The former.  There are currently two base monies designated in
the market, grams of gold and Glitter.  If you want to access
the grams of gold books, you need an account that first adds
that money.  Vice versa for Glitter, so it is not possible to
mix the books.

The problem comes out of the fact that most of the accesses to
the market specify 2 instruments, and the WebFunds user interface
has no way of easily specifying a second instrument in the menus.

When WebFunds & Trader is prepared for distribution, it is
possible to customise it to default to one or the other, so
that a new account automatically sets up the right contracts,
as per the view of the distributor.  This is documented in
http://webfunds.org/guide/custom.html ...

--
iang