[Webfunds-users] Re: misc.

Ian Grigg iang@systemics.com
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:54:56 -0400

Craig Spencer wrote:

> > > 4.  Backup does not work.  There does not appear to be any way
> > > to actually select a place to backup to!
> >
> > That's unexpected.  Backup is pretty clumsy really, when it
> > starts up it should pop up a dialog that asks for a directory
> > in which to place the backup ... does it not do that for you?
> >
> > http://www.webfunds.org/guide/faq/index.html#backups
> > describes more fully.
>
> Hmm...  I see.  I misunderstood.  I DO get the dialog.  But it never
> occured to me that "Select Directory" did not mean select directory
> but meant "save backup" here.

Ah, well this is what happens when sysprogs get too antsy about
dialogs in user code.  I used the wrong button label...

So "Save Backup" would be more customary?  I'll change it to "Save Backup Now" ...

> So I kept looking in vain for a way to
> tell it to go ahead and save the backup.  Now I see that when I click
> the "Select Directory" button my disk drive is activated.  But it still
> does not actually seem to save a backup.

It should pop up with a dialog indicating the directory that it
made the backup into.  What was the next thing that you saw?

Also, when it makes the backup, it writes on the DOS console what
it did.  If you had that open (depends on version of WebFunds) it
would show all the copies.  Or, look in the file "stderr" which
will contain all the diags.  It will be long...

If you are still convinced there is no backup, can you mail me the
file "stderr" ?

--
iang