[Webfunds-users] 2) restore backups - Haiku solution?

Ian Grigg iang@systemics.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:00:26 -0400

SnowDog wrote:

> 2) However, the primary thing that the wallet needs is a way to restore a
> backup over a new installation, allowing people to feel confident that they
> can use their backups in the event they need to create a new Webfunds
> Installation. I believe that THIS IS EASY. I installed a new copy of
> Webfunds Wallet on my computer on Sunday, then ALL I DID was overwrite the
> USERS directory with my previously backed-up USERS directory, and VOILA, the
> new installation was able to access my existing data WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!
> This means that I can now install Webfunds Wallets on several computers,
> with my existing account information INTACT, allowing me to rest, assured
> that I won't lose all installations AND my backups. This now makes DigiGold
> work for me. All it would take  is some sort of automatic restoration
> procedure to make it work for everyone.

This is a good point.  I'm thinking about this.

It's not quite as easy as writing some copy code in WebFunds, as there
are some data clash issues.  If the user were to hit the restore button
at any time, then WebFunds has to deal with *two* sets of data:  the
stuff on disk and the stuff in memory.

The disk data is easy, just copy over the top.  The memory part is
harder, as there is no real capability within WebFunds to shut that
down.  The only short term solution would then be an unfortunate
dialog "please restart WebFunds..."

Is that better or worse than having no restore?  I'm not sure, myself,
as I'd rather do it manually, but I have all the knowledge of what's
going on in my head, so it's easy.

Of course, we could make the restart easier by writing the message in
Haiku, as the Japanese are now doing to customise Windows.  Here's one:

    Your file was so big.
    It might be very useful.
    But now it is gone.

Haiku, for those who haven't come across it, is written as 5, 7, 5
syllables.
--
iang