[Webfunds-users] Bug Report

Craig Haynie cchaynie@ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 29 10:02:51 2000

> I now understand.  Just to explain the full sequence,
> there was a step 2.a) there:  you sent a zero payment
> to Omnipay for the purchase of DigiGold....

Yes!

> The payment that arrived from Omnipay was written out
> to the original SnowDog.  Only that account could ever
> benefit from that payment.
>
> But, when you deleted SnowDog, you either a) froze the
> account, so that you could never use it again, or more
> drastically, b) removed the keys so that the account
> was effectively lost.

b) I'm not a half-way guy.

> Now, when the deposit happened, this happened because,
> in our current potentially flawed understanding, WebFunds
> doesn't mind if you deposit a payment for someone else...
>
> I.e., you can do 3rd party deposits if you like.

I like this feature!

> But in this case, this was for a 3rd party deposit that
> the 3rd party - youself, same as 1st party - could never
> access.  Now, WebFunds doesn't know that.  You didn't
> know that either.  And, there is no way that either of
> you can divine that.

Wait!

I recreated the 'SnowDog' account BEFORE the money came in. I'm sure that
WebFunds thought this was a 'new' account. When the money came in, another
'SnowDog' account appeared, so that I then had 2 SnowDog accounts.

I then SPENT the money from the account which just came in, to at least the
other 'SnowDog' account or another account recently created called 'Craig'.
(I'm not sure which). Ultimately, I ended up with all the money in 'Craig',
the full 1 gram.

> So, thinking while I'm writing... either we put on a
> big warning, or we bad 3rd party deposits.  I'll have
> to think about that.
>
> In the meantime, you are probably wondering what has
> happened to your gram?  So am I...

It's only 1/2 gram, remember. I then deleted one of the 'SnowDog' accounts
and spent 1/2 gram back from 'Craig' to 'SnowDog', and this never arrived.
The remaining 1/2 gram is still in 'Craig'.

Craig