[Webfunds-users] Backups

Ian Grigg iang@systemics.com
Wed Mar 29 09:18:16 2000

Webfunds doesn't provide any method for doing backups.  It should.
We looked at how to do that last night, but didn't make it in time,
but today, we are going to add a fairly simple method.

We've thought about this over years, and the real solution is quite
complex.  I won't describe it fully now, but it involves doing
encrypted network backups to servers that sell you space.  This can
be done over SOX itself, it is a fairly mild extension to the
exsisting protocols, but as always, its a product that needs to be
developed, so we need a resource to do that.

In the interim, users should backup the directory.  I'd advise
backing up the whole directory - that's what we'll do with the
simple feature - as that way you catch the precise code base that
can access that data set.  WebFunds is designed to allow migrating
data formats, but that's a design detail, not an implementation
detail, and there are some parts of the data structure that will
break if you mix software versions badly.

In the medium term, any volunteers for a natty little SOX project?

:-)

iang