[Webfunds-users] BUG REPORT

Ian Grigg iang@systemics.com
Wed Mar 29 09:40:25 2000

Craig Haynie wrote:

> > If you check the Info and match it against the Hash
> > ( SHA#eccdb167b87d37acf4e7d6384b02aba14d3030b2 )
> > you might be able to track it down...  Then, we can
> > reconstruct how it is that WebFunds allowed you to do
> > that.
> >
> > One clue - the account is inactive, as there are two unanswered mail
> > items (last line above).  These are probably the receipts for the two
> > value transactions.
>
> As there are only 2 accounts showing in my list, ('Craig' and 'SnowDog'),
> then this account is question is not visible. Is there a way for me to
> re-activate it?
>
> Just to re-iterate what I think is the sequence of events that led to the
> problem:
>
> 1) When I just started, I created an account called 'SnowDog'.
>
> 2) I purchased DigiGold from Omnipay and awaited the arrival.
>
> 3) I went through the steps and removed the account called 'SnowDog'
>
> 4) I recreated the  account called 'SnowDog'
>
> 5) When the digigold arrived, another account called 'SnowDog' was created
> so that I then had 2 accounts called 'SnowDog'
>
> 6) I removed the account 'SnowDog' which did not have any money.
>
> 7) I created a new account called 'Craig' and transferred the 1 gram
> (purchased) from 'SnowDog' to 'Craig'.
>
> 8) I transferred1/2 gram back to 'SnowDog' and it never arrived.

I now understand.  Just to explain the full sequence,
there was a step 2.a) there:  you sent a zero payment
to Omnipay for the purchase of DigiGold....

The payment that arrived from Omnipay was written out
to the original SnowDog.  Only that account could ever
benefit from that payment.

But, when you deleted SnowDog, you either a) froze the
account, so that you could never use it again, or more
drastically, b) removed the keys so that the account
was effectively lost.

Now, when the deposit happened, this happened because,
in our current potentially flawed understanding, WebFunds
doesn't mind if you deposit a payment for someone else...

I.e., you can do 3rd party deposits if you like.

But in this case, this was for a 3rd party deposit that
the 3rd party - youself, same as 1st party - could never
access.  Now, WebFunds doesn't know that.  You didn't
know that either.  And, there is no way that either of
you can divine that.

So, thinking while I'm writing... either we put on a
big warning, or we bad 3rd party deposits.  I'll have
to think about that.

In the meantime, you are probably wondering what has
happened to your gram?  So am I...

(Actually, I'm still thinking.  Your description isn't
quite matching my explanation, as you lost a later half
gram, not the initial 1 gram.)

iang