[Webfunds-devel] success!

Edwin Woudt edwin@woudt.nl
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:17:08 -0400

Ian Grigg wrote:

> Next priority would be anon-cvs, for both Cryptix and WebFunds.
>
> One way would be the pserver method.  Another way would be to
> write a login shell that invokes CVS.  That's not hard, done
> in C, you just read the args and check they say 'cvs update...'
> But I've got no time for that at the moment.
>
> Any ideas?

Jeroen suggested something like this:
Copy the whole cvs periodically to a different area in the filesystem,
mark it readonly and execute pserver cvs in a chroot environment.
That way there is almost no security risk.

> Next priority would be to prepare a new download package that adds
> a new developer.  I've done it for webfunds / Unix, and it would
> be easy to do for Cryptix / Unix.  Problem is the Windows platform,
> and getting SSH / CVS to do the right thing.

I do not feel really comfortable about this (at least for Cryptix). I
think a better way is to have cvs/ssh documentation on the developers
website so that the developers have to figure out for themselves.

It is not that difficult to get some basic understanding of CVS and this
is sort of a basic test: if you cannot setup your own CVS access, after
reading a good instruction, you should not use it anyway.

Edwin

--
Edwin Woudt
edwin@woudt.nl