[Webfunds-users] first attempt to use webfunds

Ian Grigg iang@systemics.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:42:40 -0400

Vincent Youngs wrote:

> You were right, it just required patience (a lot of patience).  I timed it, and it
> took the SOX wallet exactly 3 minutes and 9 seconds to return the java
> security keypair.  Interestingly, it only took the Trader wallet 37 seconds to
> return the keypair.

OK, but if you reversed that order, I'd suspect the long times would
stay with the first one generated, because there is an extra step there.

> My processor is a pentium 100.

Wow!  Let us know whether writing payments or depositing seems slow.

> How do I tell which JDK I am using?
> There are two installed on my computer, but I don't know which one is in
> use.  They are both under c:\program files\javasoft\jre\
> One of them is 1.3 and the other is 1.3.0_01

Either, 1.3 is supposed to be a lot faster :)

> Also, when I started the debug wallet, it said at the top line of the debug
> window:
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Setting of property "java.compiler" is
> ignored.

Ah, ok, that's an attempt to turn off the JIT so that stacktraces
work properly.

> Does this mean the compiler is disabled and is that why it is so slow?

No, that would be the JIT, just-in-time internal optimisation phase.

(Odd, I can't find where that is set..., I thought we had removed it.)
What are the surrounding lines in the debug file "stderr" ?

> I was able to add gold contracts to the SOX wallet accounts.  I tried adding
> a gold contract to the Trader Wallet account I created, but it didn't work.  I
> guess gold isn't supported yet on the Trader Wallet, right?

Gold is certainly tradeable.  When you create the account, you must
add the right one as the money first.  So, what you need to do is
create another fresh account, and do *not* add the suggested Glitter.
Then, add Gold. It's a kludge, in that WebFunds doesn't know what is
the "money".  So, there are some configuration files in there with
hints, which are set to Glitter.  If you had downloaded the DigiGold
distribution it would have set the default money to gold.  This is
one of those artifacts of a distributed financial system...

(Also, check you have the right Gold, it should indicate in the contract
that it is OpenPGP, not x509 certificate based, which is an old one.)

> Is it just glitter
> money and beer right now or something like that?  Is there any test trading
> exchange going on where I can test out the Trader Wallet, and how do I get
> started?

Glitter is the test money, pints of beer the test tradeable item, and
that is set as the default for Trading.  You need to override the default
in a new account, and set gold manually as the money.

Here's some Glitter...

This is a payment for gl1 100.0
to   <OPEN>