[Webfunds-users] BUG REPORT

Jeroen C. van Gelderen jeroen@vangelderen.org
Sat Mar 25 10:48:38 2000

Craig Haynie wrote:

> Next I tried re-installing the WebFunds software...Bad Idea!

:-)

> It appears that the money is tied to the installation of the WebFunds Wallet
> application.

Almost, almost...

The keys that are used to authenticate against the Issuer are stored
on your harddisk. If you lose those you will no longer be able to prove
your authority to the issuer and hence you can no longer access you
money (it's still on the issuer though).

So yes, in a production-quality application you either store the
information at multiple locations or you have the user make a
backup on floppy (or something).

> Q: I'm getting ready to purchase some more DigiGold, (I think I'll keep it
> to 1/2 gram this time). Is there any way to back-up my new purchase to my
> hard drive so that if I have to re-install the Web Funds Wallet, that I'll
> be able to avoid losing my money? If not, then it seems that this money is
> vulnerable to a hardware failure.

You can backup the WebFunds data but I have no clue where it resides
and my laptop battery is emtpy *now* ;-)

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org