[Webfunds-devel] SOX Issuer sequence changes

Ian Grigg iang@systemics.com
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:47:11 -0400 (AST)

As you can see I optimised the startup sequence on the Issuer code
within SOX.  This was after seeing what a slow link did to SOX...

There are some more things that can be done.  One is to eliminate
the TimeSync entirely by making each request an effective time sync.
This is apparently easy in that the time of the request is already
in the Request header, and the difference just needs to be added to
the Reply.  Calculating the differences is a little more tricky
this way but it saves on requests which is good.

However to do that I had to do all the changes to the Reply side,
see previous mail.  When that is bedded in, I'll look at adding
the necessary fields.  These latter will of course change the
servers so they are a change that will have to be done carefully
(or not at all).

Another thing that can be done is to distribute the [server] keys
in the SOX server file.  I don't know if that helps any or not.
Also, the [server] keys could be made persistant, but that requires
the Issuer to have some sort of persistance, which is problematic.

Another way to improve performance is to do the streaming connection
approach.  I don't think that can be done until after the whole SOX
model is changed to the new model (listener/server architecture or
whatever it is called...).  But I could be wrong.

iang