[Webfunds-devel] New build setup.

Jeroen C. van Gelderen jeroen@vangelderen.org
Mon, 05 Jun 2000 01:09:25 -0400

Hi,

I've implemented a new build system for WebFunds that will
hopefully make life a bit simpler. The old system is still
in place so there is no *need* to change over ASAP but I
would recommend it nonetheless.

The new system consists of a Makefile and some major code
cleanups and modifications to handle circular dependencies
somewhat sensibly.

The Makefile can be found in the top-level WebFunds directory
and it expects the following environment variables to be set:

 $JAVA         points to you Java executable
 $JAVAC        points to your Java compiler (use Jikes!)
 $JAVAC_FLAGS  flags for compiler (use "-g +P +Z" for Jikes)
 $CLASSPATH    the usual. must point to Swing and Cryptix3,
               the build directory is automagically added.

For now the Makefile simply always forces a recompile but in
the future I may handle dependencies properly but time is
lacking now.

Useful targets are: clean, all, run .

Example of use:

$ export JAVA=/usr/local/jdk/bin/java
$ export JAVAC=/usr/local/bin/jikes
$ export JAVAC_FLAGS="-g +P"
$ export CLASSPATH=/usr/local/jdk/lib/classes.zip \
                   /usr/local/share/java/swingall.jar \
                   /usr/local/share/java/Cryptix.jar
$ make clean run

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen          o      _     _         _
jeroen@vangelderen.org  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)