[Webfunds-devel] DOS attack launched by Jose

Ian Grigg iang@systemics.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:43:40 -0400 (AST)

Advance notice of a DOS attack likely to develop wednesday
(today, by the time you see this!) afternoon sometime.
Jose is scheduled to pass us about 2000 our time, AST,
or 2400 Zulu (London).  We are one of the north-eastern
targets on

 http://www.gopbi.com/auto/channels/weather/storm/atlantic/jose/josemap-c.html

It is more than likely that the island will lose power,
which means approx 2-4 days before we get it back.  Our
UPS setup (10KVA) cannot cope with 2 days, so I'll be
shutting down the machines sometime around 1600 wednesday
(2000 Zulu) give or take a few hours.

This means that webfunds and cryptix will lose most
services;  there is some chance that the cryptix website
can be switched over, but expect mail groups and CVS
not to be there.  It might be a good idea to commit what
is useful before then, so the backups are fresh, not that
I expect to lose anything.

iang