[Webfunds-users] midas touch

Tril dem@tunes.org
Wed Sep 29 01:32:08 1999

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Ian Grigg wrote:

> Another bug to light, it has multiplied all my gold by
> a thousand...  I hope nobody abuses this generosity
> before I fix it tomorrow :-)

Somehow, this bug must not REALLY work, otherwise the entire concept of
the system would be fatally flawed.  My (foggy) impression has been that
the receipts were somehow divided between client and server, so that if
one goes bad, it won't affect the other (well, at least if the client goes
bad, the server isn't affected).  So if you caused a bug in the WebFunds
software it would only make it APPEAR (on the client end) that you had
1000 times the balance, but the server wouldn't agree and hence you
wouldn't really be able to draw on it. The client would get a message from
the server that it was out of sync, and have to refresh itself (well, at
least it would know that it was overdrawn).  Does it already do that?  Do
you do development work on the issuer software along with the client,
usually?

Haven't tried the new ones yet.  Soon.

What is recovery?  Do you mean converting the old data to the new version?

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.